Aubergine and Tomato Gratin
2 December 2015
This gratin is full of flavour and so simple to
make. Layering the aubergines and tomatoes and then baking in
the oven gives you a quick and easy dish suitable for
1 tin tomatoes (400g)
50ml olive oil
25g parmesan, grated
1 bunch rosemary, roughly chopped
1. First make a base tomato sauce; pour the tin of tomatoes
into a pan, boil vigorously until at a swampy consistency and all
the tomato has broken down. Put to one side.
2. Half the aubergine lengthwise and slice into half crescent
shapes. Then lay the aubergine out flat and sprinkle with the salt.
Leave for 30 min.
3. Half the tomatoes and thinly slice,. Put to one
4. Wash away any liquid that has seeped from the aubergines
and pat dry.
5. To assemble the gratin, spoon the tomato sauce on the base
of an oven casserole dish. Then layer in alternative rows -
aubergines and then tomatoes laying them upright.
6. Sprinkle the parmesan and the rosemary over the
7. Place into a preheated oven at 200°c/400°f/Gas Mark 6 and
for 25min, until the vegetables are roasted and crisping at the