Hot hot sticky chilli chicken
This will knock the spots off your favourite Chinese take-away
dish. It will taste much better and will have much less hidden salt
in it ! If you like two tone yellow and white rice, then sprinkle a
few drops of food colouring over the rice when cooked then recover
and rest for 10 minutes.
600g mini chicken fillets
for the rice:
450g basmati rice
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
6 whole cardamom pods
1 1/2 to 2 cups water
a pinch of saffron strands, optional (or yellow food
1 teaspoon of LoSalt
for the sweet chilli sauce:
3 tablespoons runny honey
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
3 tablespoons tomato purée
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
for the tempura batter:
100g self-raising flour
1 tablespoon cornflour
100ml sparkling water, chilled
pinch LoSalt, to taste
sliced red chilli and chopped fresh coriander, to
- Place the rice, 1 teaspoon LoSalt, spices and water into a
medium-sized saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat,
stirring occasionally to prevent the rice sticking.
- Once boiling, cover with a tight fitting lid, turn the heat
down to the lowest setting and cook for approximately 15 to 20
minutes, or according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, put all the chilli sauce ingredients
into a small pan
- Simmer for 5 minutes then keep warm while you finish the rice
and cook the chicken.
- When the rice is done, remove from the heat (add the food
colouring at this stage) and rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Gently
fluff with a fork before serving.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cornflour, a pinch of LoSalt
and sparkling water until the batter is the consistency of single
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy-based frying pan (or an electric
deep fat fryer) until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when
dropped into it.
- Dip the chicken fillets into the batter until completely coated
and lower them into the hot oil (you will have to cook this in one
or two batches).
- Fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown and completely
cooked through. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set
aside to drain on kitchen paper.
- To serve, pile the chicken onto 4 warm serving plates and serve
with the warm chilli sauce and spiced rice. Sprinkle with sliced
red chilli and chopped fresh coriander.