Onion & Herb Chelsea Buns
7 August 2019
Great as a snack, in lunch boxes or served with soup. Add a
pinch of chilli flakes to the onions for extra heat
7g sachet dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
375g strong white bread flour
1½ tsp LoSalt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced (350g)
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
15g parsley, chopped
10g chives, chopped
1 medium egg, beaten
1. Place the yeast, sugar and 250ml hand hot water in a small
bowl, stir and leave for 5 minutes until frothy.
2. Mix together the flour and 1 tsp LoSalt in a large bowl or the
bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Make a well in the
middle and add the yeast mixture and mix to give a sticky dough.
Knead for about 8 minutes until smooth. Place in a large greased
bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to prove in a warm place for
about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the
onions for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and
golden. Stir in the mustard, herbs and remaining ½ tsp LoSalt.
Allow to cool.
4. Knock back the dough and on a floured surface, roll out to a
30x38cm rectangle. Spread with the onion mixture and roll up from
the long end. Trim the edges and then cut into 12 using a serrated
5. Place in a greased 35x25cm tin, cover with oiled clingfilm and
leave until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to
200oC, gas mark 6.
6. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Prep: 20 minutes plus proving
Cook: 20-25 minutes