Pea & Lemon Risotto with Butternut Squash
3 June 2019
Risottos traditionally are butter, cream and cheese loaded, but
this is a light, low fat alternative that is fresh and summery
Recipe by Sally Bee, our culinary expert. Sally is all
about healthy food that tastes amazing!
500g butternut squash, cut into 2 cm
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Pinch of LoSalt
900 ml vegetable stock
250g Arborio rice
200ml white wine
Juice and zest of 1 un-waxed lemon
325g frozen peas
3 tbsp chopped fresh mint, plus extra sprigs to
1. Start by taking the peas out of the freezer and put them on
one side to de-frost.
2. Heat the oven to 200 ˚C. Line a large baking sheet with baking
parchment and spread the butternut squash out in a single layer,
drizzle with half of the olive oil and mix it well into the squash
to make sure it is evenly coated. Cook for approximately 30 minutes
until soft and slightly browned.
3. In a large non-stick lidded frying pan heat the remaining olive
oil over a high heat and add the onion and garlic, gently fry for a
few minutes until the onion is soft.
4. Next, add the rice, fennel seeds, cayenne pepper, LoSalt, white
wine and stir constantly over a medium heat.
5. The trick now is to add all the vegetable stock slowly and
gently, bit by bit. As you are stirring the rice, you will see when
each addition of liquid has been soaked up. This is the time to add
6. After about 20 minutes, when the rice is cooked, add the
de-frosted peas, the lemon zest and the lemon juice and heat
7. Finally add the roast butternut squash and a sprinkle of fresh
mint and serve immediately with a lemon wedge on the side.