Turkey Meatballs with Bean Chilli
26 May 2019
This can also be suitable for vegetarians, simply serve without
Recipe by Sally Bee, our culinary expert. Sally is all
about healthy food that tastes amazing!
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 onion roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 red chilli deseeded or 1 teaspoon dried chilli
500g lean chicken or turkey mince
20g fresh breadcrumbs
1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of LoSalt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
1 tsp ground cumin
dash of Worcestershire sauce (leave out for Gluten
3 tsp chipotle chilli paste
300ml reduced salt chicken or vegetable
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can black-eyed beans or red kidney beans, drained and
Green salad, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6, and cover a baking tray
with baking parchment.
2. To make the meatballs, pop the carrot, onion, garlic, chilli
and a pinch of LoSalt in a food-processor and blitz for a few
seconds until finely minced. Transfer to a bowl and combine with
the remaining ingredients, using your hands to mix everything
3. Shape the mixture into meatballs the size of ping-pong balls
and place on the prepared baking tray.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, then check the meatballs are no longer
pink in the middle. Continue cooking for 5 minutes if they aren't
5. While the meatballs are baking, make the black bean chilli.
Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium
heat, add the onion and cook gently for 4-5 minutes, until
6. Add the garlic, green pepper, cumin, Worcestershire sauce,
chipotle chilli paste, stock, tomatoes and beans. Bring to the
boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. When you are ready to serve, put a big scoop of the black bean
chilli in a bowl and serve the meatballs on top, with a big green
salad on the side.